I love green food. I love peas. Fresh peas. And this dish from Maria Ella’s ‘The Modern Vegetarian’ caught my eye whilst I was shortlisting things to make this week.
If you leave out the bread, this is a raw dish. No cooking. Very very simple. Toasting bread isn’t cooking anyway – unless you are one of those toast burners out there. So this really is a no cook dish.
It was another quite late dinner for us as I foolishly placed an Ocado delivery for 8pm. I chose this recipe because it was the quickest and I was hungry. Very quick to make this one!
You can make this in less than 10 minutes. And here’s how:
- smash some garlic in a pestle and mortar
- smash some dill and salt into the garlic
- smash some fresh peas into mix
- add olive oil, keep smashing
- add lemon juice keep smashing
- add parmesan and smash a bit more
- add crumbled feta – ease off on the smashing
- toast some ciabatta – try not to smash it
- serve with some pea shoots on top – if you can find them
You want a texture a bit like this – rather than a massive mush!
One thing you must be careful not to do is watch the last five minutes of Season 4 Episode 8 of Game of Thrones whilst doing all this smashing. It just doesn’t sit well !
This is a great simple easy dish – looks lovely – tastes amazing – and you can adjust the amount of parmesan (or leave it out all together) if it’s too cheesy for you.
This was supposed to be a starter for us – but it was filling enough that we didn’t need to eat anymore.
I’m sure this will be one of those go to dishes when I’m time starved or just want a quick bite.